Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day {7}


Sunday - June 10th

Overall, it's been a really laid back day. I went to a Ugandan church called Calvary today. It's mainly comprised of Ugandan's, but there a handful of white people (muzngu) as well. Since our group was new, they asked us all to stand up and introduce ourselves and say where we were from - it got funny after the third person, because we were ALL from the United States. During their worship, they sing some songs in English and then some in Lugandan. When worship started, I couldn't help but start crying - because this is why I'm here. This has already been an eye opening experience. And I've already deepened my relationship with Christ in such a short amount of time. I'm constantly praying for His hand of protection, and giving Him thanks for everything I have at home that I don't have here. I'm so unbelievably blessed to have the church I have, but there was just something about this church that made me fall in love with it. I think it might just be because it's in a location where the people need to rely on Christ for so much. I think the love they have for God is so pure, and I feel as if they are living their lives for God day in and day out. But, I definitely felt God in this tiny church - it was so powerful! The pastor preached in English, and there was a woman translating the sermon into Lugandan. That was a really interesting experience in itself. The church is within walking distance, so I'm thinking of taking a walk up there just to snap some photos for you all to see the size of it, compared to Parkway or whatever church you may attend. After service we all just hung out outside of the church. There were so many children jumping around for their pictures taken, and silly me chose not to take my camera - I just didn't want to be disrespectful, seeing as I'd never been there. But now I know for next time! I did manage to take one with my phone, I've been trying to occasionally post some photos on Instagram, but here it is:

                                                                       (@ Jinja - Calvary Church)

After we left the church, we all went out to eat at the Ugandan pizza place, Surjio's. I had a pepperoni pizza - which means I probably had some of the pepperoni I brought over from the States. It's just been really great getting to know the volunteers these last couple of days. I seriously have grown to love them so much - I can't get over how nice and beautiful, inside and out they are! When we got back from lunch, we all split up and kind of did our own things. I finished yesterday's blog, seeing as the internet was not cooperating with any of us yesterday. Then I went for a little walk around the compound, played with Amani's dogs with caution. I feel as if they don't get much love, which makes me sad, because they're so beautiful - annoying.. but beautiful! I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but the dogs don't bark - they howl. Alllll night long, no joke. Once these two start, all of the other dogs in Jinja join in, and since we don't have glass on all of our windows, we hear it perfectly. I came inside and played with the babies for a while. Having 6 babies rolling around on our living room floor is one of the best things ever! Especially when they're as giggly and happy as these ones are. Here's one of the only photos I took today:


(@ Amani - Fred and Justine)

A few of the volunteers went outside to play with the older children for a while. I ended up being the last volunteer to come inside, I just can't help myself. Every time I went to head inside, they would say, "No Auntie".. gets me all the time. Finally, when I was at the point of exhaustion - I had to come in. It was really hot in the sun, and unfortunately I'm a sweater, so it wasn't the prettiest picture ever. But I'd rather sweat and be with them, than sit inside all day. I've found that I just always want to be outside doing something, even on my days off. Anyway, when I came in I started catching up on my Bible reading, talked with Becky for a little bit, ate my leftover pizza, and now here I am. I've just been chatting with my dad and Abby on the phone using Whatsapp. I'm really thankful for this app, it stinks that I need wifi to use it, but it's better than nothing! I think I'm going to keep reading my Bible, take a shower, and hit the hay. Back to work tomorrow. After preschool, we're going to go help out at the new Amani site!





No comments:

Post a Comment