Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day {6}


Saturday - June 9th

First day off! And it was a fabulous one! Started my day off with some breakfast, toast and pineapple as usual (: Becky and I had all of the intentions of going into town until it decided to start storming. So, I laid in bed, read my Bible and fell asleep. Once I woke up, we ate some lunch. Becky and I then chose to go take a short walk. We ran into about 5 local Ugandan children, and they were jumping up and down yelling things at us. Obviously we didn't understand what they were saying, so we just smiled at them. A woman who was walking behind them told us they wanted a picture taken (Becky and I were carrying our cameras), so we turned around and snapped a few shots and they of course loved it. We continued walking towards Lake Victoria, but then thought we better turn back around. On the way back, when the kids saw us again they began jumping up and down again. So I got my photo taken with them, they were so beautiful. Shortly after we got back to Amani, 4 other girls were getting ready to go into town! When we were walking down to the gate we got distracted by all of our boys running around outside, so we needed to stop and say hello! A lot of them were so excited about all of our sunglasses, and just to be getting love from their Auntie's. Have a look:

(@ Jinja - the local children)

(@ Amani - Christopher)

(@ Amani - Henry)

When us girls finally got into town, we definitely hit the stores. I can't describe the culture found in the stores. I loved, and wanted to buy everything - thankfully I didn't! I did find a few gifts for people at home, and I bought myself a new purse, handmade in Uganda (: There's a store full of paintings, and honestly, they are some of the most beautiful paintings I've ever seen. I love when you can see every brush stroke the painter made, and the when there's a richness of color. We then went to eat at The Source, which is a cafe in town. I had my first Ugandan hamburger. It's quite different than our hamburgers - they serve it on toast, and they had veggies grilled into it. Different, but good. After dinner we headed back to Amani to exchange all of our photos from the day. Then we watched "We Bought A Zoo", and I then skyped with Jeremy for a little bit. Then headed to bed. It was a long, but wonderful day. Here's a recap of our time in town in photos:

(@ Jinja - shopping)

 (@ Jinja - Megan N and I)

(@ Jinja - beautiful paintings being sold)

(@ Jinja, the Source Cafe - Ugandan hamburger)

No comments:

Post a Comment