Thursday, July 5, 2012

Days {23-29}

** The storm last Tuesday fried our internet modem, which is why I haven't been able to update my blog. I apologize sincerely - I've been missing my blog as well! Honestly it's been kind of nice without the internet. I've been able to connect to some of the girls some more, which has been fun! But, let's see what I remember about the last 7 days!

Wednesday - June 27th

Okay, well, this was the first day without internet - not fun. Other than that though, I don't really remember anything about this day.. wow.. I'm sorry. Here's some photos though:

(@ Amani - Henry)

(@ Amani - Simon)

(@ Amani - Caroline)

Thursday - June 28th

All I remember about Thursday is Bible study. We were all meant to bring in a scripture or song that represented something we try to live by. I chose Psalm 16: 8, " I have set the Lord before me. Because He is at my right hand. I shall not be shaken." I always need to remind myself that I don't go through hard times on my own, He's always with me - more than likely the one who is testing me. I'm never alone. But, I also played the song "Give Me Faith", which is probably one of my favorite songs ever. It just speaks to me, and brings me to tears almost every time I listen to it. I'm just so blessed.

Friday - June 29th

All of the volunteers headed for Kampala this morning at 6.00am. There's a Friday Market in Kampala that sells a lot of souvenirs for almost half the price we'd pay in Jinja. Needless to say, I got all of my shopping done, finally. I wanted to get it all done sooner in my trip rather than later. But, Lynley had an Africa pendant on her necklace that I absolutely fell in love with, and I finally got one - now I can always have Africa close to my heart, even when I'm home. Aside from going to the market and the mall, we made a stop at Akiba, which is a home for children who are undergoing treatment for cancer. It was really tough to see those children, knowing that they're fighting a battle bigger than I've ever had to fight. Despite their situations, they didn't fail in having a smile on their face almost the whole time. It's wonderful seeing all of the different types of ministry people have started in Africa. Seeing the amazing things that have been done here make me excited to try to get more involved at home! But, on the ride home from Kampala, I felt this strong, overwhelming feeling of love for this country and its people. I almost had a moment of panic when I began thinking of when I'll be departing this beautiful place. I never imagined feeling the way I do now. And it makes me nervous knowing that I'm already dreading the day I leave, and I'm still here for 51 days. I'm so thankful that God put this mission on my heart, and that He's opened my eyes to be more understanding, and He's already showed me the meaning of compassion and love - way more than I've ever experienced before now. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't thank Him and everyone for allowing me, and supporting me to be where I am right now. As much as I miss home, I don't think I want to be anywhere else but here. I feel that's a very bold statement, but it's a reoccurring thought, which means God has placed it there.

(@ Kampala - Friday Market)

(@ Kampala - Friday Market)

(@ Akiba - Volunteers and children)

(@ Akiba - Sweet little boy)

After we got home from Kampala, we all headed over to Helene's for our 80's party. Of course only us Americans dressed for the occasion, whereas the Canadians came in their regular attire. We had awesome snack food, and watched the original Karate Kid. By the end of the night, I was pooped. What a long day, but it was a fun one!


(@ Helene's - 80's Party)

Saturday - June 30th

This morning we headed over to one of the Amani Mama's village to watch a traditional dance. We all took a mutatu, which is a Ugandan taxi. Which basically is a van that crams as many people as it can in it, thankfully this time around it was just our volunteers. But, we headed over to a side of town we've never been on, it was really interesting to see all of those new things in town. The village is a little ways away from town though, it's kind of hidden amongst a bunch of trees and whatnot. Anyway, Mama and her neighbors welcomed us with open arms. We were able to see a lot of the women making beads. We've all bought them, but haven't really seen the whole process. There were lines with beads hanging out to dry.

(@ Village - Beads drying)

                                                                 (@ Village - Woman rolling beads)

As sappy as this sounds, but as soon as the women started dancing, I found myself in tears. Every day I'm hit with this reality of where I am. Never in my life have I imagined I'd ever make it over to Africa, but here I am. It was just so amazing to see that, at their home. But of course, all of the children ended up crowding around us - and honestly, every single one of them was so beautiful! After a while, they all got super goofy as well! Have a look:

(@ Village - Local boys)

(@ Village - Women dancing)

(@ Village - Women dancing)

(@ Village - Crazy children)

(@ Village - Crazy children)

(@ Village - Crazy children)

When we got back from the village, a few of us had lunch in town at the Source. Guacamole is beginning to grow on me, I used to strongly dislike it in the States, but it's wonderful here. Anyway, Sara and I went around and did some shopping. We bought Bibles to have them painted by a local painter, he's so talented. Later that night, I went with Sandra and Sarah to get Sandra's eyebrows threaded - I ended up getting mine done! I've always wanted to try it, but I've always been afraid to. I hurt for a little bit, then you get used to it. The Indian woman who we went to said I have a nice shape to my brows, which was nice to hear! Finally, after all of that, we went to The Keep for karaoke. All of us volunteers went up there to sing "Lean on Me", and we dedicated it to our preschool teacher, Tina. It was Sara and Megan H's last night in Uganda, so I'm glad it ended up being a fun night!

Sunday - July 1st

Woke up, and went to church. There was an Ugandan woman sitting next to me, who was very very close. She had the entire other half of the bench. She then put her hand/forearm on my leg, as if she was wanting to hold my hand. Sara was cracking up, which made me laugh - but of course every time I laughed my body would wiggle around which caused the woman to lean forward to try to figure out why we were laughing. It was just very interesting, and very unexpected. But, I've heard other stories of Ugandan's getting very close to some of the volunteers. I think some just aren't really exposed to white people very often, so they just get very excited. Sandra also mentioned that since we're white, they think we have a lot of money - and hope to be our friend because of that. I know the kids in the village get really excited, but I imagine they really don't see us very often. I had one girl petting my skin the other day, as weird as that sounds, it's really common with children. Not our kids at Amani though, obviously they're exposed to us all of the time. After church, some of us came to Surjio's to get some lunch and use the internet, however, when more than 4 people are trying to use the internet it runs super slow - which means I wasn't able to get anything done. Sara and I went to Ekisa after lunch and a nap. Ekisa is an orphanage for mentally challenged children, they currently house 19.

(@ Ekisa - Right outside of Ekisa)

They are so wonderful. One of the boys actually used to live at Amani, but I think when they realized that something wasn't working how it should they moved him over. This boy is probably the size of me, and I was carrying him around on my hip. He was so sweet though, he kept randomly coming over to me and giving me a kiss on the cheek. They have one boy who is perfectly fine mentally, but is at Ekisa due to how he looks. At first, I thought he was just a burn victim, but soon came to find out that his step-mum apparently threw acid all over him. When Sara told me that, I honestly began to cry. He's such a cute boy, and it breaks my heart that he has to deal with that for the rest of his life. He's really shy too, due to how his appearance looks. But, Sunday night is usually Mafia Night. As you already know, I'm not a fan, but since it was Sara's absolute last night, we all went and played at least one game. I moved into the other room at Amani today, so this was my first night in my new room. A little weird, but I slept like a baby.

Monday - July 2nd
Back to work this morning. When I went down to preschool, and when I saw the boys faces - I felt this strong feeling of missing them! We've been busy all weekend, so I hadn't seen them since Thursday because we even went to Kampala on Friday. I know I say this all the time, but I just love them with all of my heart! Today was a pretty laid back day, have a look at play time:


(@ Amani - Matthew)


(@ Amani - Christopher and Brian)


(@ Amani - Frank)

Tonight was Taco Night! Sandra and one of the Mama's were in the kitchen making homemade tortillas and guacamole. It was absolutely wonderful! I'm so thankful for the people I'm living with. (:

Tuesday - July 3rd

All I remember from Tuesday is my outing with Edwin. He's so adorable! He's probably one of the sweetest little boys at Amani. We went to Flavours Cafe, and I got him a chocolate milkshake. He couldn't use the straw, so we had to drink it normally, which resulted in this:


(@ Flavours - Edwin and I)

Wednesday - July 4th

Happy 4th of July everyone! It was a pretty normal day, nothing too exciting happened during work. But, after work we all went over to Danyne's house for a cook out! I was pretty excited about this, seeing as obviously I missed the real deal in America. We had burgers, beans, coleslaw, and chocolate cake. The burger was pretty good, however, I think they'll always taste differently here. But.. the chocolate cake was AMAZING! It's sad, but I get so happy when I find good chocolate here - I should have brought more with me.. It was nice just sitting around and chatting with everyone for a while. Instead of fireworks, we had a lot of confetti guns. It was pretty awesome, I want them for next year. But, we all stood around singing the National Anthem also. I'm not going to lie, it kind of broke my heart spending the 4th in another country. It was a good time though, and I'm thankful for such a wonderful day. It's great knowing that despite being here for so long, it just makes my gratefulness even stronger for what I have at home. Once we all got back to Amani, we decided to watch Bridesmaids. Probably not the most appropriate movie to watch, but it was funny. It was the Canadians last night, so it was nice hanging out with them one last time!

No comments:

Post a Comment